To uninstall SecretSync completely from OS X (especially in the case of a problem, where you plan to re-install), please follow these instructions closely:
(1) Backup all the data in the SecretSync folder first. Do this as a precaution, in case there are any issues, so none of your data is lost. Simply copy all the files in the
SecretSync folder to an alternate location, like your
(2) Stop SecretSync. You must make sure the SecretSync process is not running on your computer.
(a) Open Applications in Finder, and click
SecretSync Service Stop, i.e.
(b) Just to be sure no errant processes are still running, open
Terminal (most of the following steps will be done in Terminal anyway), and type:
ps ux|grep [S]ecretSync
If SecretSync is still running somewhere, you will see something like the following:
user 6750 0.0 1.6 863364 33612 ?? S 2:52PM 0:01.69 java -jar SecretSync.jar
You can kill the process by using the
kill command with the second number above,
6750, which is the process ID. Yours will likely be a different number.
kill -9 6750
(3) The SecretSync application is installed into a hidden folder under your home folder named
.secretsync. To remove this folder completely from your system, type the following command in
Terminal - CAUTION, this command cannot be undone. Do this only if you are sure all the previous steps have been successfully completed.
rm -fr $HOME/.secretsync
(4) Now, remove the SecretSync folder, where you have stored your data. Step 1 above must be done first, or you could lose all your data. Paste the following into Terminal:
rm -r $HOME/SecretSync
Note: This assumes that you installed your SecretSync folder into its default location under the home folder. If you installed it elsewhere, you will need to use
rm -r /Alternate/Path/To/SecretSync but be aware the results are the same, i.e. you can't undelete these files.
(5) Check that the folders and files have been removed. Still in the Terminal, type
ls -alF $HOME/.secretsync; ls -alF $HOME/SecretSync
You should get get a
No such file or directory message for both.
(6) OPTIONAL. Only do this step if you want SecretSync removed completely from Dropbox as well. If you only want to uninstall SecretSync from the current computer and let other computers continue synchronizing, do not do this step.
To remove all traces of SecretSync, perform the final deletion:
rm -fr $HOME/Dropbox/.SecretSync_tunnel_Root
This will remove the tunnel folder from Dropbox, which will then synchronize those changes to your other computers.